Sunglasses could be considered a necessity for many cyclists, whether you are mountain biking, competitive cycling, track cycling, or road biking.
They are essential for keeping dirt, debris, UV rays, wind, and even insects out of your eyes! They also help you focus on your end goal without potentially harming your eyesight.
Nothing would be worse than losing a cycling race due to something in your eye from not wearing sunglasses.
The time, inevitably, adds up: having to stop your bike, having to get the debris out of your eyes, and then getting back on your bike with irritated and watering eyes, and by this time, the race may even be over!
Luckily, to prevent this from happening, we have compiled a list of the best cycling sunglasses for you to choose from which will meet all your needs; whether this is fit, design, protection, or even color – we will help you win that race or achieve your goals!
Best Cycling Sunglasses
OUR TOP PICK
[amazon fields=”B01HRJIG3Y” value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B019MM7XUQ” value=”thumb”]
[amazon fields=”B07QCTTVMN” value=”thumb”]
OUR TOP PICK
[amazon fields=”B01HRJIG3Y” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
These sunglasses not only look good but also feel good by providing top-quality protection for your eyes.
With three interchangeable lenses, you can use these sunglasses for any occasion!
The main colorful lens provides a multipurpose function, with a pc Revo lens that reduces glare and improves contrast, including a light transmission of 50-60%.
The yellow lens is for night activities, and the black one is polarized for driving and other activities.
All lenses have 100% UV400 protection coating, block 100% harmful UVA and UVB rays, have HD visuals, and contain TR90 unbreakable material.
Providing you with peace of mind that you are protected during your bike rides.
The cool rimless jacked frame design of these sunglasses enables a clear lower vision field, the rubber nose pad provides optimum comfort, and a lightweight design makes them perfect for cycling.
Available in an array of rich colors, these sunglasses are sure to make you stand out in a crowd!
- Ventilation system: two ventilation airflows on the frame of the sunglasses mean that the lenses won’t fog up when sweating, allowing you to stay focused during your activities.
- Comfortable: these sunglasses were designed with inclusivity in mind, to fit an array of head shapes and sizes, whether you are male or female.
- Carrying case: provides a designated space to keep your sunglasses and interchangeable lenses all in one place! Allowing peace of mind that you won’t lose any of your lenses whilst cycling.
- Prone to nicks and wear: if dropped on hard surfaces repeatedly, sunglasses may show signs of wear in the form of scratches and marks.
Also available at: eBay
[amazon fields=”B019MM7XUQ” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Designed specifically with the needs of athletes and fitness enthusiasts in mind, RIVBOS athletic sunglasses are a great choice for all kinds of sporting activities.
RIVBOS lens technology ensures that your sunglasses have 100% UV400, HD polarized lenses, UV TAC lens, and impact resistance, making them great for cycling, whatever the weather!
With an array of different sunglasses for your different cycling needs, RIVBOS allows you to choose your sunglasses based on your own specific eye requirements, creating a more personalized experience.
While providing continuous protection from UVA, UVB, wind, insects, and dust.
The TR90 frame material provides exceptional sturdiness, with the ability to bend under pressure; without breaking, making them safe for off-roading and mountain biking where there is a higher chance of your sunglasses falling off.
- Wraparound design: fits snugly and comfortably around the face while decreasing the chances of them falling off. This design means that they are perfect for men and women.
- Polarized effect: great for cycling in sunny weather which is prone to glaring, these sunglasses prevent glare from the sun and reflections which can be distracting.
- No interchangeable lenses: these sunglasses do not have the ability to change lenses; therefore, you have to buy different sunglasses for different needs, e.g. day/night sunglasses.
Also available at: eBay
[amazon fields=”B07QCTTVMN” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Oakley’s number one priority is to provide eyewear solutions of the highest quality and performance, with their unique clear and photochromic lenses for the pro or everyday athletes to continue their sports pursuits protected from any eye incidents.
Oakley sunglasses feature anti-scratch and anti-fog coating, an O-Matter frame, and impact protection.
Their one-of-a-kind PRIZM lens technology is designed to enhance color and contrast, so you can see in more detail, perfect for all types of cycling.
All flight jacket shield sunglasses utilize Oakley’s famous Plutonite lenses, with HDO optics, that block out 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC, and harmful blue light within 400 mm.
The frame also features unobtainium ear socks and adjustable nose pads to increase grip while you sweat, making sure they won’t fall off even in the most high-intensity situations.
The sunglasses attribute an innovative three-point fit system to help relieve pressure points for a comfortable, all-day, fit.
- Interchangeable lenses: this allows for the lenses to be taken out of the frame, and replaced with another lens based on your specific needs for that day.
- Anti-scratch and anti-fogging: features anti-scratch coating on the front lenses, and an anti-fog coating on the back surface, providing an extra layer of protection for your sunglasses, and clear vision throughout your cycling activities.
- O-Matter frame: this unique frame provides high-mass and high-velocity impact protection, giving you peace of mind that your sunglasses won’t break if dropped.
- Unique frame design: may not agree with everyone’s personal design taste.
[amazon fields=”B08QVCZSZ6″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Smith believes that when you can see more, you can do more, and with this ethos, they created their ChromoPop performance lens technology to enhance natural color and clarity to allow you to see in more detail, beyond normal capabilities.
These sunglasses are built with PivLock lens change technology, thin metal temples for compatibility with helmets, and non-slip comfort to suit all your cycling needs.
The raised brow design offers increased peripheral vision when cycling, and a top bar venting with two-position nose bridges for a perfect fit and to minimize fogging.
Equipped with two interchangeable lenses for dazzling sun and low light, a hydrophobic smudge, and moisture-resistant lens coating means that you can ride in every weather condition thrown at you!
- ChromePop lens Technology: sunglasses lenses filter out wavelengths of light to deliver greater lens definition, providing you with greater clarity and focus.
- PivLock technology: allows for easy lens interchangeability, while keeping lenses locked in place, so they don’t fall out.
- Hydrophobic coating: repels moisture, grease, and grime, giving you perfect vision whilst cycling.
- One-size only: may not fit everyone.
[amazon fields=”B07Y272MLT” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Looking for a more stylish pair of sunglasses? Well, look no further because not only do these sunglasses look fashionable, and come in a variety of colors, but they also provide top performance protection.
The Grilamid TR90 frame is lightweight and durable, featuring rubber nose/earpieces for a no-slip grip, whilst being UV protected at all times – perfect for staying comfortable during long bike rides.
The sunglasses lenses are made out of shatter-resistant polycarbonate material, with a wraparound design ensuring that your vision is not obstructed while providing top quality protection, ideal for all of your cycling adventures!
Interchangeable models of these sunglasses come in two different lenses: AC RED (All conditions red) and clear, adapting to whatever environment you’re in.
- Adjustable ear/nose pieces: giving you the ability to customize your sunglasses to a fit that suits you best.
- No frame: having no frame around the lenses allows you to have 100% visibility and ensures that there are no obstructions in your field of view.
- No polarized lenses: interchangeable lenses do not include polarized lenses which some people prefer when cycling in very sunny conditions.
[amazon fields=”B08WYSGGZQ” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Last, but not least, is the KAPVOE sunglasses. With four different UV-protected lenses included, these sunglasses will suit any condition you find yourself in whilst cycling!
A colorful lens for everyday use, a black polarized lens to prevent glare on sunny days, a clear lens best suited for dusk, night, early morning, rain, or foggy conditions to make the natural scene clear, and, finally, a yellow lens suitable for low-light conditions to provide you with a clear vision.
Not only are these sunglasses highly functional and practical, but they are also very lightweight.
Made with a sturdy, stress-resistant TR90 frame, these sunglasses have an overall weight of only 34g!
Alongside an adjustable nose clip, a detachable myopia frame, and flexible earpieces, these sunglasses have been built with inclusivity in mind – making sure everyone can enjoy eye protection whilst cycling.
- Hydrophilic rubber nose pads: this allows your sunglasses to maintain their grip even when wet, so there’s no chance your glasses will fall off from whatever the conditions.
- Mirror lenses: the use of polycarbonate polarized HD-coated mirror lenses provide excellent optical quality, restores true color and reduces reflections.
- Adjustable ear/nose pieces: provides personalized comfort, great for long bike rides.
- Not scratch-proof: lenses may be at risk of scratches if dropped repeatedly on rough surfaces as there is no scratch protection; therefore, they need to be used with care.
Best Cycling Sunglasses Buying Guide
It could be argued that all sunglasses are the same: they prevent sun or debris from getting in your eyes.
However, this is not the case. If you’re wearing the wrong types of sunglasses while cycling, this could potentially lead to a number of different problems; such as, they could fall off easily, they could have a glare, or they could not provide the proper protection you need for cycling.
Your eyes are an important organ and need the proper protection when engaging in certain activities. For instance, cycling.
Therefore, we have conducted a guide to help you with your search for the best cycling sunglasses, while taking into account all the necessary features you need.
The most important feature to consider when purchasing cycling sunglasses is safety, and what features are put in place to protect your eyes.
As the last thing you want is to damage your eyes!
Luckily, there are many measures and regulations put in place when manufacturing cycling sunglasses, to prevent this from happening.
When looking at safety, the main area to look at is the lenses, as these are your primary protection for your eyes and the outer world.
Therefore, the lens needs to be of a high-quality plastic material and thickness, to prevent anything from breaking the lens and entering the eye space.
An additional feature to look out for is UV protection. This is especially important for long bike rides out in the sun, as the longer you’re exposed to the sun, the more damage it can cause.
Therefore, it is important to buy sunglasses with lenses that 100% block all harmful UVA and UVB rays from your eyes.
And lastly, it is important to make sure that the sunglasses cover the whole perimeter of your eyes. This includes the top, the bottom, and the sides.
Making sure that the sunglasses fully cover your eye area will prevent wind, sand, dirt, debris, or any other substance from getting in your eyes and potentially damaging them.
Whether you are mountain biking, track cycling, road biking, or even cross-country cycling, there is a chance that your sunglasses may fall off, and if this happens, the last thing you would want is for them to break as you won’t have any eye protection!
Therefore, the durability of your sunglasses is important.
The durability of a particular pair of sunglasses depends on what types of material are used to hold it together.
A flimsy, weak plastic material would inevitably make the sunglasses more prone to breakage and defaults.
Whereas a strong material, such as TR90, would provide the necessary strength while simultaneously being lightweight and comfortable on the face, minimizing wear and tear – providing you with peace of mind that your sunglasses won’t break.
Nothing is worse than wearing uncomfortable sunglasses! Nobody enjoys the tight pinch on your nose, rubbing on your ears, or the scratching on your head from the frame – especially when cycling for long periods of time!
Fortunately, this can be easily avoided when looking for the best sunglasses.
When looking at sunglasses it is key to look out for rubber ear/nose pieces, this will minimize any discomforts and rubbing while also preventing your sunglasses from slipping off your face from sweat or rain.
Some sunglasses feature plastic ear/nose pieces; however, these are often hard and can cause discomfort. So, rubber pieces are best to look for!
Additionally, for the best comfort, it is ideal to look out for adjustability. Some sunglasses allow you to adjust the nose pieces and earpieces in order to fit your face perfectly and securely.
This is great for people who have smaller/ larger heads.
Although these may not be deemed as a necessity among cyclists, the choice to change and adapt your sunglasses based on the conditions you are cycling in is a bonus!
This saves you time and money on going out and purchasing new sunglasses for every single weather condition throughout the year.
No one pair of sunglasses is going to work in all conditions.
Whether it is raining, sunny, or even snowing – there will always be a slight difference in the sunglasses that best suit one of these conditions.
For example, a polarized lens would be better suited in the sunshine, while a yellow lens would be better during low light conditions, by enhancing contrast and light.
So, while this may not be necessary, it does mean you don’t need numerous pairs of sunglasses to suit all different occasions, just get the right lens for the condition you’re cycling in and click it into place!
Frequently Asked Questions
Polarized vs. non-polarized sunglasses?
Non-polarized sunglasses reduce the amount of light coming through the glasses while preventing harmful UV rays; however, they do not prevent glare.
Glare is the excessive brightness from direct light or reflected light, and often occurs when the sun is reflected from surfaces such as glass or snow which then can be directed into your peripheral vision; which can be annoying for cyclists, especially when cycling on the road.
It can also impair depth perception, distort colors, and can even cause temporary blindness.
On the other hand, polarized sunglasses are designed specifically to reduce this glare.
While some cyclists find this extremely useful, it can also be potentially dangerous when worn in specific conditions such as during winter, or rainfall.
This is because they eliminate the glare from puddles or icy surfaces which cyclists need to see to avoid these slippery conditions.
So, while some cyclists love polarized sunglasses and the better visibility they provide, others do not want the risk.
Knowing the pros and cons of polarized sunglasses may help inform some cyclists, and knowing the risk, they may choose to only wear them in suitable conditions – avoiding rainy and winter days.